[Insight-users] mutual information measure

J. Van Dalen J.vanDalen" <J.vanDalen@rad.umcn.nl
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:31:14 +0100 (CET)

Dear itk-users,

I use itkMutualInformationImageToImageMetric to perform a registration. It
all seems to work: I do not get error messages and by eye the two images
seem to be on top of each other. However, the result depends very much on
the value of the inputparameters (translateScale, numberOfIterations
learningRate, standardDeviation, numberOfSamples). Now, I would like to
tune these parameters to get an optimal result. Therefore, I would like to
have some kind of a mutual information measure, that indicates how well
the registration is performed. I already try to use GetValueAndDerivative
in itkMutualInformationImageToImageMetric, but it doesn't give me any
relevant information (I only observe fluctuations after each iteration).

Has anybody an idea? Is there something available in the itk routines
that I overlooked?

Regards,
Jorn.