[Insight-users] Re: mutual information again

Daniel Rueckert dr@doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:02:52 +0000

Hi,

it is common for mutual information to sometimes not work very well if
there is not much overlap between the images. To solve this problem a
variant of mutual information has been proposed by Colin Studholme,
called normalized mutual information:

"An overlap invariant entropy measure of 3D medical image alignment",
Studholme C, Hill DJG, Hawkes DJ, Pattern Recognition, 32, 71-86 (1999)

Normalized mutual information is calculated as (H(x) + H(y)) / H(x, y)
rather than the standard mutual information (H(x) + H(y) - H(x,y))...

Maybe this helps,

Daniel

--
Daniel Rueckert, Ph.D.