[Insight-users] watershed with MRI

Joshua Cates cates@sci.utah.edu
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:47:36 -0700 (MST)

Hi Lydia,

The watershed algorithm was intended to be used with real-valued data
types (i.e. floats or doubles).  It will not work directly on multiple
component data such as RGB.  For best results, you should cast your
unsigned char image to floating point.

Note that you will usually not pass the image you are trying to segment
directly into the watershed filter.  Typically some preprocessing is
required.  The watershed algorithm treats its input as a height function
where high values represent "ridges" or edge features in the image.  For
RGB data, for example, you need to extract scalar image features from that
data (i.e. gradient magnitude, curvature) first.

Please see the documentation in

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1WatershedImageFilter.html#_details

and

http://www.itk.org/HTML/WatershedSegmentationExample.html

There is a more exhaustive description of the algorithm in the
InsightDocuments repository (see http://www.itk.org/HTML/Download.php to
download) under InsightDocuments/CourseWare/Training/Tutorial.pdf.  Also
under
InsightDocuments/Validation/WatershedSegmentation/WatershedSegmentation.pdf.

Hope this helps,

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 School of Computer Science