[Insight-users] Building ITK and VTK on linux

Ofri Sadowsky ofri@cs.jhu.edu
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:59:35 -0500

Hi Bill & All,

I installed the newest cvs version of VTK (I think it's 4.1.something) and rebuilt the whole VTK from
scratch. Then I rebuild Insight 1.0.0 again from scratch, but I keep getting compilation errors. Now
it's in the file:

InsightToolkit-1.0.0/Auxiliary/vtk/vtk2itk.cxx

and the last error message is

In
   function `vtkUnstructuredGrid* MeshToUnstructuredGrid(floatMesh*)':
/usr/local/erc-share/downloaded-src/itk10/InsightToolkit-1.0.0/Auxiliary/vtk/vtk2itk.cxx:271: no
   method `vtkCellArray::New'
/usr/local/erc-share/downloaded-src/itk10/InsightToolkit-1.0.0/Auxiliary/vtk/vtk2itk.cxx:272: invalid
   use of undefined type `struct vtkCellArray'
/usr/local/erc-share/downloaded-src/vtk4x-cvs/VTK/IO/vtkDataWriter.h:36: forward   declaration of
`struct vtkCellArray'
/usr/local/erc-share/downloaded-src/itk10/InsightToolkit-1.0.0/Auxiliary/vtk/vtk2itk.cxx:292: invalid
   use of undefined type `struct vtkCellArray'
/usr/local/erc-share/downloaded-src/vtk4x-cvs/VTK/IO/vtkDataWriter.h:36: forward   declaration of
`struct vtkCellArray'

Now, I cannot be sure if the problem is because of the VTK version or because of ITK. All I could find
on the VTK web page was:

1. Download VTK 4.0
2. Download VTK 4.x Nightly Release
3. Unsupported Linux Pre-Compiled Binaries (RPMS)

The unofficial rpm has problems with TCL support, so I dropped it. But in general it should be no
different from the nightly release. Bill has ruled out the use of VTK 4.0. What is the next step, then?

Thanks,

Ofri.