[Insight-users] Question on parallel computing of ITK

Fucang Jia jiafucang@hotmail.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:14:52 +0800

Hi, everyone,

I have access to a cluster of IBM RS/6000, each computer has four CPUs. The
cluster is running AIX 4.3.3.0. ITK was compiled successfully using gcc
3.2.1 without applications or examples, because there is no OpenGL installed
in the cluster now.

Now I want to make use of parallel computing on it, but I do not know
parallel computing, I only heard of the name of MPI and PVM. ITK implements
Filter Level Multithreading and Application Level Multithreading, but I do
not how to use them.

Firstly, Can ITK make use of multi-processor automatically? in other words,
if ITK know the number of CPU, could it make several threads submitting to
every CPU? I am afraid the key is no. So could you offer an example to
illustrate it?

Secondly, which algorithm can be threaded, can MultiResolution
MutualInformation, Watershed, Levelset algorithm which need extensive
computing resource be parallel executed?

Thirdly, if there a need to study MPI or PVM programming to utilize parallel
computation for ITK now?

Thanks a lot!

Fucang