[Insight-users] Building ITK and VTK on linux

Ofri Sadowsky ofri@cs.jhu.edu
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:43:18 -0500

Next question is about FLTK and CABLE.

1. http://www.itk.org/HTML/RelatedSoftware.htm states that "CABLE is part of the ITK source code distribution", which is no longer true -- the Insight/Utilities/Cable/README says: "The Cable repository is no longer part of the Insight directory structure. The
tool must be obtained and built separately." I guess this should be fixed.

2. How essential are FTLK and CABLE to the functionality of ITK? I thought it best for me to learn by looking at the examples. But many of them require additional packages installed, of which VTK is only one. By now I've got used to installing the additional
packages with less trouble. Yet I think it may be helpful for future users to have a note on the Download page mentioning the Related Software, and that many Examples and Applications require the additional software. Probably even better would be to have some
directory page, that shows a table of the examples and the external packages that they depend on. This should reduce surprises.

3. I would not like to limit the ITK developers, but I am starting to get scared of an inflation in external dependencies. Another good thing about this directory table is, that at least it helps to keep track of their number.

Thanks,

Ofri.