[Insight-users] VTKImageIO : ASCII vs Binary data.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:26:37 -0500

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for pointing this out.

The example ImageReadWrite is probably not reading
your VTK binary image correctly.

There seems to be a problem in the itkVTKImageIO
reader that prevents it from recognizing binary
data. This should be easy to fix. It looks like
the reader is not taking into account the tag for
Binary/ASCII data in the VTK image file.

---

On the other hand, for writing, there is a method
in the ImageIOBase class that allows to define if
you want to write in binary or ascii.

Since we are relying on the factory mechanism
for finding the apropriate ImageIO object based
only on the file extension (in this case,
itkVTKImageIO is pull out of the hat when you
provide a file with .vtk extension).  This
prevent us from having access to the ImageIO
options.

The solution is simply  to instantiate explicitly
the ImageIO object, set its options and then pass
it to the ImageFileWriter.

This could look like

itk::VTKImageIO::Pointer vtkIO =
                    itk::VTKImageIO::New();

itk::ImageFileWriter< ImageType > WriterType;

WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();

vtkIO->SetFileTypeToBinary(); // <<==== Here !!

writer->SetImageIO( vtkIO );

writer->SetInput( filter->GetOutput() );
writer->SetFileName( filename );
writer->Update();

We are looking for a fix in the reading side.

Please let us know if you find any other problem,