[Insight-users] Dicom slice position

Iordanescu, Gheorghe (NIH/CC/DRD) GIordanescu at cc . nih . gov
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:05:27 -0400

Jolinda,

Thank you very much for your reply. The information you gave me is very
useful but I still need some help. I already have a code that reads =
Dicom
images and finally gives me an ITK image. I was interested though in =
using
ITK classes to do this. All the code is there - I only need some =
guidance on
how to extract the necessary fields. Instead of writing the info from =
the
dicom header in a txt file on the disk, I would like to use it and =
build the
3d ITK image. I think this would be a big improvement for our code...

George

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Jolinda Smith [mailto:jolinda at darkwing . uoregon . edu]=20
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:36 PM
To: insight-users at itk . org
Subject: Re: [Insight-users] Dicom slice position

Hi George,
=A0
Just a quick note -- be very careful of the "slice thickness" and =
"slice
spacing" fields. Slice spacing is supposed to be the center-to-center
distance between slices, but in reality it's meaning is =
scanner-dependent.
"Image number" will not necessarily help either. What you can trust are =
the
"Image Orientation Patient" and "Image Position Patient" fields. You =
can use
the first to calculate the slice normal, and the second to calculate =
the
position of the slice along the slice normal (as well as the distance
between adjacent slices).
=A0
Or, you could use my program MRIConvert, which does all that for you.
=A0
Jolinda Smith
Lewis Center for NeuroImaging
University of Oregon