[Insight-users] RequestedRegion vs RegionOfInterestImageFilte r

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd . ge . com
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:23:36 -0400

Mathias,

You are correct that a filter may override the setting of RequestedRegion.
A filter is allowed to do this if it cannot guarentee that it can produce
the correct result by processing just the original RequestedRegion.  For
instance, the connectivity based filters cannot guarentee they will
get the correct segmentation if they are restricted to a particular
requested region.  The segmentation could conceivable leave the
RequestedRegion
and loop back in.

What you are trying to do, however, is reasonable since you are allowing the

user or application to apply soem higher level knowledge of how big the
object of interest is.  So in this case, an ExtractImageFilter or
RegionOfInterestImageFilter can be used to pull out just the piece of the
image you want to operate on.  In either case, the memory will have to be
copied.

Jim