[Insight-users] MI rigid registration

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:53:56 -0400

Hi John,

It seems to be a good practice to normalize the intensities of your
images before using them for registration with MI.

This is a statistical normalization, not a range one. So the goal
is to obtain an image with mean intensity value equal to zero, and
standard deviation of intensities equal to 1.0.

You may use the itk::NormalizeImageFilter for this purpose.
http://www . itk . org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1NormalizeImageFilter . html

Then, start your registration with *very*  small values of the step
length and try using a simple transform first (e.g. just translation)
until you get a better feeling on the parameters appropriate for your
images.

Plotting the trace of the metric values, and the paramters of the
transform as the registration progresses is in general a great help
for getting insight in how to tune the parameters.

You may want to take a closer look at the registration chapter that
Lydia Ng setup in the SoftwareGuide:

             http://www . itk . org/ItkSoftwareGuide . pdf

Section 7.4, pdf-page 218 to 225.

You will find, for example, the use of normalization filters there.