[Insight-users] Re: itk using borland builder 6.0

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:01:01 -0400

Hi Marius,

Some time ago we started trying to adapt ITK
to support Borland 6.0 with the help of several
people on the users-list.

However, it turned out that Borland 6.0 has
lower support for templates than Borland 5.5.
So the adaptation was forcing us to sacrifice
a number of very basic features that are
currently working in other compilers.
(features that follow the C++ standard).

Unless a new release/upgrade of Borland 6.0 is
out there, it may not be worth to modify ITK
for supporting this version of the compiler.

Borland 5.5 is fully supported now, and it is
actually the most active compiler in the
continuous builds on the dashboard because it
is quite a fast compiler.

We hope Borland people will improve the support
for templates of version 6.0 at some point.