[Insight-users] itkGrayscaleErodeImageFilter

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd . ge . com
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:56:17 -0400

I wasn't sure what boundary condition to use for these filters.
I think it currently uses a constant value for pixels outside the
boundary of the image (with the constant set to zero). So the
erosion would result in zeros propagating into the image.  The
boundary condition could be changed to the ZeroFluxNeumann boundary
condition if that makes more sense.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: salah [mailto:salah at gris . uni-tuebingen . de]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 9:45 AM
To: Itk (E-Mail)
Subject: [Insight-users] itkGrayscaleErodeImageFilter

Hi all,

I have used the itkGrayscaleErodeImageFilter. I notived that
it does not erode the boundary voxels. In other words, the
boundary of thickness= radius of the structuring element  is
simply replaced with 0's. I think the filter is not meant to do
so! right?
By the way, the itkGrayscaleFunctionErodeImageFilter does
not show this effect.
Note: i would be satisfied if the itkGrayscaleErodeImageFilter
does not touch the boundary voxels, i.e if it leaves then
unchanged, but replacing them with zero is an undesirable
effect (at least for me).

Could anybody please check if he/she get this effect with
these filters ?? Could it be a bug ??

Thanks,
Zein

----->8<-
Zein I. Salah
University of Tubingen, WSI-GRIS, Sand 14, 72076 Tubingen
Email: salah at gris . uni-tuebingen . de
Tel.: (07071) 29 75465 (GRIS),           Fax: (07071) 29 54 66