[Insight-users] Segmentation Editor-can't load data in Preprocessor

Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:10:31 -0400

Hi Dennis,

The SegmentationEditor in ITK Applications 1.2
does not require you to wrap ITK for Tcl.

It relies only on VTK's Tcl wrapping.

You just need to make sure that VTK is build
with Tcl wrapping.

There is also an entry on the FAQ concerning
this issue.
http://www . itk . org/cgi-bin/InsightFAQ/InsightFAQ?req=show&file=faq03 . 002 . htp

The variable:  ITK_WRAP_TCL is intended to
enable the wrapping of ITK itself in to Tcl.
Note that the wrapping mechanisms used by
ITK and VTK are quite different due to the
use of Generic Programming (extensive templates)
in ITK.

FYI: The wrapping mechanism used by ITK in
version 1.2 has been changed now, in order
to cover other languages. The current mechanism
uses CSwig, and generates code for Tcl and Python.

To summarize:

1) You don't need to enable ITK_WRAP_TCL

2) Make sure that VTK is built with Tcl wrapping

3) If you find the segmentation to be time-consuming,
    make sure that you are compiling for 'Release'.

    This can results in execution speeds between 2
    and 10 times faster. (Note that you have to
    make sure that you build VTK, FLTK and ITK for
    release, along with your application).

    You can also use the GradientAnisotropic filtering
    aplication available in the SegmentationEditorFltkGui
    directory in order to reduce the noise level of your
    input image.  Use this application for preprocessing
    your input images, this will reduce the computation
    time of the final segmentation.

-----

You can still develop applications putting
together VTK, ITK and a GUI library like
{FLTK, Qt,wxWindows or MFC}.