AW: [Insight-users] slice-wise running of filters

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:12:34 -0400

Hi Zein,

I would discourage you from doing an slice
by slice approach for processing the 3D image.

Doing a single slice processing may be reasonable
as a way of providing rapid feedback for a user
in a GUI.

Is your volume strongly anisotropic ?
That is, is the Z spacing much larger than the
X and Y spacings ?

If this is the case, you can probably justify
to do 2D processing just because the slices
will be pretty uncorrelated anyways.

Otherwise, processing the whole volume in a 2D
slice basis will give you inconsistent results.

Filters like Smoothing, Erosion, Dilation,...
use neighborhood information in ND.
Running them in a 2D slice mode will result
in decorrelated results on the slices of the
output volume.

If performance is an issue, you may want to
consider other options as well.