[Insight-users] connected components as seeds for fastmarching

Tim Rudge tjr34 at cam . ac . uk
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:07:59 +0100

Hi again,

I'd like to have a filter that given a binary image will produce a node for
each connected group of non-zero voxels (so that I can pass them as seeds
to fastmarchingimagefilter to produce a distance map for the
ShapeDetectionLevelSetImageFilter).

I have tried simply passing each non-zero location as a seed with initial
distance of zero - this gives wierd unexpected results, perhaps because
some of them are neighbouring each other? I figure if I only pass a single
seed node for each connected group this will work? Or perhaps only non-zero
points which have a zero neighbour and are therefore on the border of a
non-zero region?

If this is a reasonable approach, how can I implement this, pref. without
writing my own filter from scratch.

The background to this is that we have confocal microscope images where the
regions we want are dark, seperated by bright boundaries. I want to use a
threshold to find points in the dark regions and start the level sets
around these points.

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim Rudge