[Insight-users] Re: compiling: CMake : "To Use or not to Use"

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:49:37 -0500

Hi Ilyass

CMake is not "mandatory" for installing and using ITK

You could struggle tunning your project settings by
hand and get a consistent configuration...

However, it will take you probably weeks to get it right,
while by using CMake it should be a matter of hours.

CMake is Free and Open Source, you can get binary versions
for most platforms if you don't want to use your valuable
time building it. CMake is already distributed by default
with Cygwin and Debian Linux. As a free bonus of using CMake,
you get automatic portability of your project to other
platforms (Unix, Windows, Mac).

So... there are few reasons for NOT using CMake.

I will strongly recommend you to invest some time in
learning to write your CMakeLists.txt file and use CMake
for configuring your project.

The little text boxes of VisualStudio in the "Project Settings"
can be very, very, very frustrating when you have to write
more than two library names, or more than three include paths.

And... assuming that you succed to configure your project by
hand, you will have a lot of fun whenever somebody ask you
to reconfigure the project for running in another computer
where the libraries are installed in different paths.

Please let us know if you have further questions