[Insight-users] Display ITK models in VTK

Gavin Baker gavinb@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:52:26 +1100

Hello,

I am working on some code for model-based segmentation (or model-image
registration), and have found the examples and software guide most
useful.  Thanks enormously Luis!

What I would like to know is how best to integrate VTK into an ITK
application to visualise both models/meshes as well as volumes/images.

I know that I can use itk::VTKImageExport to connect the output of an
ITK pipeline to display the image in VTK.  However this will only
display the processed volume or image data.  I would also like to
superimpose the model or mesh onto the volume, ideally during
processing to show the progress.

So I guess the question becomes:: how can I display itk::Mesh or
itk::SpatialObjects in VTK alongside images from VTKImageExport?

Presumably I would have to create geomtric objects in VTK (such as
lines, curves, etc) corresponding to the ITK classes.  But this raises
all sorts of other questions; which class is responsible for creating
them?  How would updates of the 'view' be made based on the 'model'
changing shape/parameters?  etc.

I would be most grateful for any information...

Thanks-

  :: Gavin

--
Gavin Baker                                Computer Vision Lab (CVMIL)
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gavinb                 University of Melbourne