[Insight-users] Geodesic Active Contour and MRA vessel extraction

Fucang Jia jiafucang@hotmail.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:19:05 +0800

Hi Luis, hi everyone,

I am interested in Geodesic Active Contour using segmentation of MRA vessel.
I use the data from
http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu/publications/Data/Branch.n000.mhd ( Thanks Dr.
Aylward ), the default parameters in the program GeodesicActiveContour was
used, but the result seems level set only track a few images. I tune the
parameter, but when iterator number becomes big, the track depth only adds a
little. So I want to know: what is the art when track blood vessel from MRA
using Level set ? Suppose the 3d volume are smoothed fine.

Other questions I am concerned:
1. Should initialize one point enough? Or should use more seed points at
different image (in the volume) to speed up the evolution?

2. A contour not seed point should or should not speed up the evolution
progress, if yes, how to feed the contour to the level set filter?

3. Blood vessels are not always on one direction, so the blood vessel can
change direction at one image, like "n" character, so fast marching can not
used in segmentation MRA, is that right?

Thanks for any advice!

Fucang