[Insight-users] Re: PGM files: WaterShed segmentation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:36:50 -0500

Hi Shilpa,

The WaterShed segmentation example in InsightApplications
has been deprected and it is scheduled to be removed from
the code soon.

In ITK 1.2 it has been replaced with an example nicely
rewriten by Josh Cates:

Insight/Examples/Segmentation/WatershedSegmentation1.cxx

This example is much easier to use than its predecesor in
Applications (the one that you are trying to use).
Detailed documentation about this example is available
in the SoftwareGuide.pdf

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Section 8.2: "Segmentation based on WaterSheds"
pdf-pages 258-262. This section was also contributed
by Josh Cates.

You can use this example with any 2D image in format:

    PNG, MetaImage, VTK, Analyze, GIPL, Stimulate and DICOM.

---

Just for the record: The practice of reading and writing
sets of PGM files originated at a time where the ImageIO
reader were under-developed. The current factory mechanism
offers now a much better support for reading a variety of
image file formats. Ironically we haven't added yet an
PGMImageIO... (a bug #287 was logged in GNATS).
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl/Insight/

-----

Please let us know if you have further questions