[Insight-users] Visual C++ 7.0

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:17:56 -0500

Hi Ron,

ITK is build nightly with VC7 on
terminus.kitware

http://www.itk.org/Testing/Sites/terminus.kitware/WinXP-VC70/20030312-0500-Nightly/Test.html

The same machine does borland 5.5
and VC6. These builds are done one
after the other.

When large changes are in the repository
the build time of the firsts builds may
catch the starting point of the next,
driving the poor terminus to a CPU crisis.

In recent days the code has been undergoing
drastic changes, so it is possible that
terminus has suffer frequent CPU seizures.

----

In any case.... Please note that VC7 is
the development platform for many of us.
So, we are continuously working reducing
this number of errors... since we feel
the same pain.

This particular warning from VC7 about type
conversions is arguably a valid one.  They
are supposed to be checking for our management
of 32bits against 64bits before any 64bits
versions of VC are available. Let's call it
"Pre-suffering,... by Microsoft"

We considering disabling this warning but
then we will lose some of the instances
in which the same warning is actually
signaling a real problem.

--

It is perfectly safe to build ITK 1.2 with
VC7 (and many other compilers). Tarballs for

    http://www.itk.org/HTML/Download.php

If you decide to live on the edge and work
with the current CVS version, then, there
are no promises since the code is in
continuous evolution. You may want to
check the greenness of the Dartboard
before cvs updating.

BTW: when you say 'safe' do you mean if
you will run into trouble at compile time ?
or do you mean if the software will perform
safely at run-time in a medical application ?
These may be two very different inter-
pretations.

Please let us know if you have further
questions.