[Insight-users] How to read/write multiple images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:16:14 -0500

Hi Ron,

I assume that you are thinking on volume data
stored as one slice per file, like Dicom.

There is some work in progress for implementing
a Series reader.

In the meantime the simples way to read series
is to create a MetaImage header for them.

The header specifies the image size, spacing,
origin and the filenames of the slices. The range
of files to be read is defined implicitly here
by selecting the filenames of the slices.

You pass this .mha text header to the
ImageFileReader and it will take care of the
rest.

A nice help for creating MetaImage headers is to
use the "MetaImageImporter" application in available
in InsightApplications.

Given that the header is just a plain ascii text
file, another easy way to get it done is to take
a header from another image and edit it with any
text editor.

The Series file reader will offer a much better
interface once it becomes available.

Please let us know if you have other questions.