[Insight-users] About BilateralImageFilter.exe

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:21:41 -0500

Hi Ouyang,

Every example in the Insigth/Examples directory
is associtated with a section in the SoftwareGuide.

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In fact, the content of the documents is extracted
from the files in Insight/Examples.

You will find detailed information about the
BilateralImageFilter in the SoftwareGuide on
section 5.5, pdf-pages 127-129.

In particular, the example illustrated in this
section, was generated using

      rangeSigma  = 5.0
      domainSigma = 6.0

in the command line.

---

This filter is based in a double convolution approach.
A convolution is done in the spatial domain using a
Gaussian kernel whose sigma is = 'domainSigma'.
At the same time a convolution is done in the intensity
domain with another Gaussian kernel whose sigma is
'rangeSigma'.

So, when you think of domainSigma, think in # of pixels,
and when you think of rangeSigma, think in gray levels.

Please let us know if you have further questions.