[Insight-users] Why I can't compile ITK successfully in CMake?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:32:23 -0500

Hi Zhuo,

You don't need Dart in order to build ITK.

Dart is an optional toolkit, and it is only
needed if you intend to submit the result
of your build to the online Dashboard.

It seems that you are filling the CMake
variable

            DART_ROOT

Please don't do that, leave this variable empty
if you don't have Dart installed in your system.
With that, CMake will understand that there is no
need to create rules for submitting to the Dashboard.

The current ITK configuration is extremely simple,
you are confronted to 5 variables:

1) BUILD_EXAMPLES
2) BUILD_TESTING
3) CMAKE_BACKWARD_COMPATABILITY
4) DART_ROOT
5) ITK_DATA_ROOT
5) ITK_WRAP_TCL

The easy way to start with ITK is to set this variable
to:

1) OFF
2) OFF
3) leave the default value 1.6
4) empty
5) empty
6) OFF

The reason for leaving (1) and (2) OFF is that you
don't need to compile the examples, nor the tests
for creating the ITK libraries.  With this configuration
it will take 15 minutes to build ITK.

At that point you can come back, run CMake again and
then enable (1), which will now build the examples.

Having the examples compiled, you grab a cup of coffee
and start reading the SoftwareGuide.pdf,

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

trying the examples as you go with the text.

On the other hand, if you want to submit to the
Dashboard (and everybody is welcome to do so),
you need to download Dart from
http://public.kitware.com/Dart/HTML/Index.shtml

Note that Dart is mainly an scripted system so you
don't need to compile anything.

Please let us know if you have any problems.