[Insight-users] How to extract small blood vessel?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:56:20 -0500

Hi Fucang,

Level Set may not be able to deal with very small structures.

I would say that structures smaller that 5 pixels will not be
on the range of visibility for level sets.

If you are detecting blood vessels in this range of diameter,
you may want to use the statistical pattern recognition approach
used in the CurveExtractor demo application:

    http://www.itk.org/HTML/Curve2DExtraction.htm

This application is available in the "InsightApplications"
module.

It is using the Hessian on the intensity values at a certain
scale, in order to recognize the places where linear structures
are present in the image.

You will have to play a bit with the code in order to move it
to 3D...   there should be some fun in life   :-)

Please let us know if you have further questions,