Re[2]: [Insight-users] Streaming

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd . ge . com
Wed, 7 May 2003 11:16:26 -0400

I admit the options are intriguing, particularly given the number of
linux clusters and computation grids being assembled (we have several
of both on site).

Whether ITK adopts these capabilities is dependent on the community as
a whole.  We need to balance the benefit with the complexity.  If a large
percentage of the community wants these types of capabilities, then we
will certainly address this issue.  But if only a small community wants
these types of capabilities, I fear the complexity involved will outweigh
the benefit. This is not to say that is not going to happen.  Just that
we need to scope the cost/benefit.

As an example, the research community is more likely to embrace running
algorithms across a cluster.  The clinical community, however, is more
geared towards shared memory configurations. (Personally, I want everything
to run my laptop. But I am probably an outlier here.)

The developer community for ITK is larger (by construction) than the
developer community for VTK. Also, the types of algorithms in ITK
(for instance, segmentation algorithms) are more complicated than the
algorithms in VTK. These issues drive us to keep things as simple as
possible under the hood.

Note, however, that since one can mix VTK and ITK, it would be possible
to used VTK's capability to bridge across a network to other cpus and still
use ITK in the pipeline housed on each cpu.