[Insight-users] How to extend ITK with DLLs at runtime? Defining ITK_AUTOLOAD_PATH crashes every program!

Mon, 19 May 2003 12:13:36 -0400

Hi Parag,

Bill Hoffman and I just looked at this problem following your
detailed description.

1) The bugs in itk::ObjectFactoryBase were fixed

1.a) One was related to the use of the string::append() method.
      Replacing this method with the operator += fixed the first
      crashing problem.

1.b) The Directory object created in line 305 is now received in
      a SmartPointer as Koen suggested.

2) The second problem, was related to the return of a SmartPointer
    as a raw pointer in the itkLoad() method of the loadable factory.

    The solution in this case was to add a new method:

                  "FactoryNew()"

    which instantiate a factory using "new". This prevents the use
    of the FactoryLess methods and the exposition of the class
    constructor.

    We tested this with the PNGImageIOFactory by separating it
    from the normal ITKIO library and seems to work fine as a
    loadable factory. The modifications to the PNG library  were
    checked in, so you can model after them if you wish.

http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/Insight/Code/IO/itkPNGImageIOFactory.cxx.diff?r1=1.6&r2=1.7&cvsroot=Insight&sortby=date
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/Insight/Code/IO/itkPNGImageIOFactory.h.diff?r1=1.13&r2=1.14&cvsroot=Insight&sortby=date

Please let us know if you find further problems,