[Insight-users] Thin-plate spline limitations?

Steve Boyd skboyd at ucalgary . ca
Tue, 20 May 2003 09:11:34 -0700

Hello,

Is there a limitation to the number of landmarks that can be used in the
thin-plate spline in ITK?  I understand that numerical problems may
occur if too many landmarks are used, and I believe this is the case in
the current VTK implementation.  To overcome this problem, there have
been publications that describe the use of the fast multipole method
(FMM) for approximations
(http://www.aranz.com/download/modelling/papers/siggraph01.pdf), but I'm
not sure if this has been implemented in ITK.  I'd love to use the
thin-plate splines method, but my needs for the algorithm would require
>200,000 landmarks.

Has the FMM been implemented in ITK's thin-plate splines?

Sincerely,

Steve

--
Steven Boyd, PhD

Assistant Professor
Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive, N.W.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2N 1N4

tel. 1.403.220.4173  fax. 1.403.282.8406  skboyd@ucalgary.ca