[Insight-users] Another question about the optimizer.

Fri, 23 May 2003 10:38:40 -0400

Hi Raghavendra,

Your intuition is correct. A gradient descent optimizer shouldn't in
principle have two contiguous increments in the cost function. That is,
if it finds one increment, it has to change direction or stop.

This is very clear in a one-dimensional parametric space. (e.g. if you
are optimizing a single parameter). But, if you thing about
multidimensional optimization, we can imagine many cases in which the
optimizer is caught in multiple increments.

For example: Imagine the optimizer in a 2D setting with the simple cost
function

                   f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2

If the step lengths are not small enough, it is possible for the
optimizer to star jumping from one wall to the oposite one passing
over the minimun value. Even though the optimizer is trying to do
the right thing: moving in the direction where the gradient indicates
that the function decreases. It may still end up in a location where
the value of the cost function increases, just because the jump was
too long.

Possibilities of such behavior increases when you add more dimensions
to the parametric space.

You may want to reduce the step length of your optimization in order
to make sure that the succesive steps behave monotonically.

Note that the criteria for stopping the optimizer are:

1) when the step length reaches a minimum value (user-selected)
    The time step is divided by 2 each time an increase in the cost
    function is found. (the direction of advance is also reversed)

2) when the magnitude of the gradient goes under a minumum value
    (also user-selected)

3) when the maximum number of iterations is reached.
    (the user selects the maximum number of iterations).