[Insight-users] Insight Applications Problem : Directory name too long.

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:41:49 -0500

Hi Robert,

Here is a possible suspect for being the source
of the problem that you are facing while building
SNAP in InsightApplications.

The list of directories that get set in the
include_path is quite large for this particular
application. In you SNAP.dsp file, the full
string has 4541 characters.  In the SNAP.dsp
file that is working fine in "terminus.kitware"
the string is only 3007 characters.  The differences
arise from the length of the directory name where
the source code is located.

In our case this directory is:

    G:\src\InsightApplications

in your case it is

    G:\Nieuwe versie software\InsightAppolications-1.4.0

Since this string is replicated about 50 times
(for each one of the paths), the full include-path
has about 1500 character more in your case.

The problem is that the compiler, instead of complaining
for this string being too long, is simply ignoring (or
truncating) the last part of the string. Therefore missing
some of the directories you actually have to visit in order
to find all the necessary header files.  That results in
the compilation errors:

     fatal error C1083:
     Cannot open include file: 'UserInterfaceLogic.h':
     No such file or directory

So, the solution is to install the source code in
another directory with a shorter name. (28 characters
is the length in our case, so that's certainly a
safe limit).

I'm making the wild guess that the actual limit in the
total path length is 4096 characters. Just because this
is a power of two.  But,... it may well be that somebody
at the Visual Studio development team found another number
to be more appealing....

If the guess is correct, you could in principle go with
directory names that are up to 48 characters in length.

There is one way to know...     :-)

Note that the include_path is composed by directories
comming from both "Insight" and "InsightApplications",
so, make sure that both of them are located in short
named directories.

Please let us know if that works for you,