[Insight-users] Question in DICOMImageIO2

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd . ge . com
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:03:52 -0500

Zhang Hui,

The DICOMImageIO2 uses the DICOMParser code under Insight/Utilities.  The
DICOMParser uses a callback mechanism to propagate information from a DICOM
file to an application.  So at the DICOMParser level, it is possible to
register callbacks for Hospital, Exam Date, etc.

DICOMImageIO2 only registers callbacks to the DICOMParser for the bare
minimum number of fields necessary to read the image data.  We are currently
debating whether we should provide access to all the information in a DICOM
file at the DICOMImageIO2 level.  We could put more information into the
MetaDictionary attached to the output object of the reader.

In the short term, it is pretty easy to get at this information from the
DICOMParser.  You can create your own instance of a DICOMParser (and
potentially a DICOMAppHelper if you want) and register additional callbacks
to pull out the additional header information you want.  We do not currently
expose the DICOMParser from the DICOMImageIO2 so you cannot set these
additional callbacks on the instance of the DICOMParser that the
DICOMImageIO2 is using.

You can look at Insight/Code/IO/itkDICOMSeriesFileNames.cxx to see how to
create a DICOMParser and tell it to operate on a file.  If you look at
Insight/Utilities/DICOMParser, DICOMAppHelper.cxx you can see how to
register callbacks to the parser for the group/elements that you are
interested in.

Jim