[Insight-users] WaterShed Segmentation of grayscale images

Joshua Cates cates at sci . utah . edu
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:43:29 -0700 (MST)

Hi Neha,

The same pipeline can be used for scalar images.  Simply use the scalar
versions of the same filters.  (i.e. instead of the vector anisotropic
diffusion, use the regular anisotropic diffusion.  Instead of the vector
gradient magnitude, use the regular gradient magnitude.)  As Luis pointed
out, denoising is important to reduce the complexity of data in
uninteresting regions of your image.  Anisotropic diffusion is handy in
this context because it preserves the location and strength of gradient
edges in the image, which are used to define watershed regions.

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute
 University of Utah
 Email: cates at sci . utah . edu
 Phone: (801) 587-7697