[Insight-users] How to use GeodesicActiveContour with 3D images

Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:21:02 -0500

Hi Anders,

This application is generic in nature. It is not
intended to be used with a particular type of images.

You could use for example the brain images from the
brainweb project available at the "Data" link of
http://www . itk . org

Applications that read images using the ImageFileReader
do not need to set up spacing, nor size explicitly in
the code.  This information is obtained directly from
the reader. Otherwise you will end up in the situation
where your application will only be able to read images
of a specific fixed size.

The difference between the 2D and 3D versions is mostly
related to the user interaction capabilities and the
image display functionalities.  The internal ITK code
is exactly the same in both 2D and 3D.

We have used the Geodesic active contours method for
segmenting abdominal aortic aneurisms. You may want
to try the ITK plugins for Volview. You can download
the free version of VolView from:

   http://www . kitware . com/products/volview . html

The segmentation can be done directly in 3D. There is no
need for doing slice by slice processing. Slice base
processing is in general a hack of the past. A remanent
of the time where fully N-dimensional methods were not
available.

About the seed points in this application, they are
denoting pixel-indices instead of physical coordinates
in millimeters. Therefore Z is a slice number.

You don't need to worry about this detail though.
Simply select your seed points by clicking on the
displayed image.