[Insight-users] Python Wrapping Coverage for ITK

Hua Qian hqian at imaging . robarts . ca
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:18:24 -0400

--------------010404090107070605020401

Hello All,

As a test drive for my Python-ITK application,
I tried to re-implement the MultiResMIRegistration
application in Python recently. I didn't go very
far before I found that I have to wrap lots of
ITK classes myself, such as

   MultiResolutionImageRegistrationMethod
   RecursiveMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter
   ChangeInformationImageFilte
   FlipImageFilter
   NormalizeImageFilter
   PermuteAxesImageFilter

While it is quick and easy to write a C++ wrapping
file for a class, it is slow to rebuild ITK
every time you add new wrapping files.
Now, I am wondering if I could get all the
building work done in one shot. My questions are:

Is feasible to wrap all the ITK C++ class (at
least for US3, F3 and combinations) in python
(and Tcl)?

Does anyone know the coverage of python/tcl
wrapping in ITK 1.4 distribution? I am talking
about the class base, not all the template
parameter combinations.

By the way, I attached a little python program
that generates a list of ITK python classes
(output: /usr/tmp/itklist.txt). I use the list
to check what classes are available in Python.

Regards,
Hua

--
Hua Qian, Ph.D.
Programmer/Analyst

--------------010404090107070605020401

#! /usr/bin/env python

import InsightToolkit as itk

file = open('/usr/tmp/itklist.txt', 'w')

itklist = dir(itk)
for item in itklist:
    file.write(item)
    file.write('\n')