[Insight-users] Centered Transform

Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:02:03 -0400

Hi Robert,

Thanks for clarifying your question.

You are right, if you can determine that
the amount of translation is much larger
than the rotation, you want to solve the
misregistration in translation first.
Conversely, if the rotation is larger
than the amount of translation, you want
to solve the rotation first.

Note that this is purely subjective since
it is not obvious how to compare the
amount of rotation (in degrees) against
the amount of translation (in millimeters).

What you could do in this case is to run a
registration process in two steps.

First you configure a full registration
set (optimizer, metric, interpolator and
transform) using a translation transform.
Run the registration until you find a
reasonable minimum.

Then you resample the moving image using
this translation and feed the resampled
image as the input moving image of a full
second registration process. You select
again an optimizer, metric, interpolator
and transform, but this time a rotation
transform. Note that some degradation is
to be expected in the image due to the
resampling process....

----

An alternative way of doing this is to
regulate the "translation scaling" in the
CenteredRigid transform, and use a single
registration set. The translation scaling
allow you to balance how much of the step
in the transform parametric space is taken
along translational directions and how much
along rotational directions. You will find
details about the "translation scaling" on
the SoftwareGuide.

-----

In practice, however, if you use one of the
Centered transform along with the centered
initializer, the translation provided by
the initializer should put you very close
to solving the translational misregistration.
For this you want to use the initializer
in the "Moments" mode as opposed to the
"Geometrical" mode. The only case where "Moments"
are not good initializers is when you are
registering two images of different
modalities.  Using the initializer is probably
the best way to get both "translation and
rotation with good accuracy". However, keep
in mind that registration (as most good things
in life) does not come for free, and some
effort and perseverance is required in the
process of tunning parameters for your
particular application.

You may want to experiment first with the
images available in "Insight/Examples/Data"
and with the registration examples described
in the SoftwareGuide. The code for the examples
is available in "Insight/Examples/Registration"

In particular, try to use the images:

    BrainProtonDensitySliceBorder20.png
    BrainProtonDensitySliceShifted13x17y.png
    BrainProtonDensitySliceR10X13Y17.png

It may not be worth to attack the registration
problem of your own images until you feel
confident registering the standard images
listed above.

----

Please let us know if you have further questions,