[Insight-users] some querry about dicom image

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd . ge . com
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:45:35 -0400

Soumen,

1. I'm not sure the DICOM headers have to be same size.
2. The rescale slope and rescale offset do not have to be the same for
all the images in the series.  For CT, they typically are the same.  For
PET, they typically are different for each image.
3. For CT and PET (and perhaps MR), these items are probably the same for
each
image in the series. Unfortunately, medical scanners allow for a lot of
flexibility in designing an image series.  Occasionally, you will find
series
where the field of view or slice thickness or slice spacing changes through
the series. These are hard cases to deal with and they do not occur too
often.

In general, we usually assume the above values are the same for each image
in a series (with the exception of the rescale slope and offset which we
treat as variant within a series to be safe).

I believe the bulk pixel data is always at the end of the file (unless you
are trying to pull out pixel data from a private tag).  So once you know
the size of an image, you can always skip to the start of the pixel
data by offseting the file pointer from the end of the file.