[Insight-users] Fwd: deform registration

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:50:02 -0500

Hi Tina,

I just tested the DeformableRegistration1 example,
and it does produce slightly different results when you
change the metric.

Note that the variations in the image will not be
visible to the naked eye. The deformations of the
registration are about 2 pixel maximum. So, by simply
looking at the images you will not see any difference.
We are talking about the respiratory motion of a mouse
that was trapped in an micro MRI machine... so there is
no much room for changes between the fixed and moving
images in this particular case.

If you use the "diff" command you will find differences
in the two registered images. In particular if you
compare the raw data files:

           RatLung_result10.img

as they are produced with each metric.

An easy way to look at the actual differences between
the registration results is to look at the deformation
fields in each case.  The x and y components of the
deformation field are saved as images in analyze format,
as:

component X of the deformation field:

    RatLung_dispxvec.hdr
    RatLung_dispxvec.img

component Y of the deformation field:

    RatLung_dispyvec.hdr
    RatLung_dispyvec.img

The deformation field obtained with Normalized correlation
is much smoother that the one produced by MeanSquares, for
example.  You could use a tool like ParaView (which is also
open source) for visualizing deformation fields.
http://www . paraview . org/HTML/Index . html

Another easy way to note differences from both registrations
is to subtract the images resulting from the use of two
different metrics.

Please look closer at the results of the registration
and let us know if you find any problems.