[Insight-users] itk Data Representation vs. Spatial Objects

Mark Foskey mark_foskey at unc . edu
Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:35:48 -0400

You want to use an itk::Mesh.  Representing points, lines, and polygons
(with possible associated data such as normals) is exactly the sort of
thing Meshes are for.

By contrast, the purpose of spatial objects is to provide a common API
for images and other things that represent objects in space.  This way
you can register a blood vessel model with a blood vessel image.  There
is an ImageSpatialObject that wraps an itk::Image, but there is not yet
a MeshSpatialObject that wraps a Mesh.  We hope to eventually implement
one, but even when we do, you would still be able to work with the
underlying mesh.