[Insight-users] Shared libraries

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:57:37 -0800

Hello,

I'm hoping that by using the shared libraries build for ITK, I can cut
down on compile times and executable size for my projects because every
single project I compile won't have to instantiate from template common
combinations of image and pixel types, etc.

Is this in fact the case -- do the shared libraries contain
instantiations of commonly-templated class combinations? If so, how
does one instruct the compiler to look in  a library before
instantiating from a template (or does cmake take care of that)?

Or am I totally misapprehending what the shared libraries are for? If
I'm mistaken, I would be most interested in someone enlightening me
about the purpose of the shared library option.

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine