[Insight-users] calculators?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:10:25 -0400

Hi Yasser,

There is no real physical meaning for
the "Mass" in the Moments Calculator.

One way of interpreting this concept
is to think that the intensity levels
in the pixels of your image are proportional
to the content of a particular substance
on the patient.

The total mass is simply the sum of all
the intensities in the image, and therefore
it could be seen as proportional to the amount
of that substance.  Unfortunately most image
modalities are not that specific. (unless
you are using markers in molecular imaging
where there is a lot more of specificity).

In practice you should only use the moments
as rough indicators of the location and
orientation of the brightness in your image.

If what you want is to compute volumes and
to estimate masses of anatomical structures
you must start by performing segmentation
on those specific structures.