[Insight-users] Reading series of images

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:03:53 -0400

Files are queried multiple times when read.

First there is pass via the factor mechanism to determine which type
of format the file is.  A set of ImageIO each peek at the file and
determine whether the file is a format it can read. In simple cases,
we simply trigger off the extension.  But usually, the ImageIO objects
look for a magic number of try to read the complete header to determine
whether the file is a format it can read.

Once an ImageIO is found that can read the file, the reader will read the
file's  meta data.  This a subset of the information that is usually in the
header of file.  Things like pixel type, rows and columns, etc.

Finally, the bulk data (pixel data) is read.

I suspect you are seeing the filenames once for meta-information and once
for the bulk data.