[Insight-users] Image registration & enhancement

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:19:02 -0400

Hi Jesse,

The fact that the graylevels are in a reduced range
will not affect the outcome of the registration if
you are using metrics such as

   - NormalizedCorrelation
   - MutualInformation
   - MattesMutualInformation

or if both images are in this same reduced range
and you use metrics such as MeanSquares.

---

You may want to reconsider your reasons for altering
the intensities of the images.

Enhancing is a very generic term and can cover things
like intensity windowing, intensity rescaling, noise
reduction, edge enhancement, histogram normalization,
local contrast enhancements.... and most of them are
only useful for improving the perception of the images
in human observers.