[Insight-users] PNG from ITK

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:10:28 -0400

We produce PNG images frequently from ITK without any issues viewing
them in other packages. I just downloaded a demo of Amira and loaded some
PNGs that were written by ITK without any issues.

Are you writing 8 bit or 16 bit PNGs?  Many image viewing applications
do not view 16 bit PNGs well.  This can be exacerbated when you accidently
save 8 bit data in a 16 bit PNG. In this case, the image will appear very
very dark because the image is only using 8 bits of the 16 bit dynamic
range.
You can recover somewhat by adjusting the contrast and brightness of the
image
in your image viewer.  Another alternative is to rescale the intensities
before ITK writes the PNG file.

Jim