[Insight-users] Re: Snap : Reading DICOM series

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:38:42 -0400

Hi Filippo,

There are several mechanisms for converting Dicom Slices
into other fileformats that support 3D datasets.

A) The simplest mechanism is to use the example program in

    Insight/Examples/IO/
               DicomSeriesReadImageWrite.cxx

   Building this example will produce a command line tool to
   which you provide as command line arguments the name of the
   Directory where your DICOM slices are, the name of the DICOM
   series you want to use, and the filename of the output volume
   you want to construct with them.

   In order to get a GIPL file you simply need to provide
   an output filename with extension ".gipl". Please look at the
   FAQ for other fileformats and their corresponding extension.

B) Another mechanims is to use MRIConvert. This application
    can read DICOM series and save them in MetaImage and
    Analyze formats. You can download it for free from

    http://lcni.uoregon.edu/~jolinda/MRIConvert