[Insight-users] Suggestion -- New Memeber Welcoming Package

Arash Jahangir arash at vije.ca
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:58:46 -0400

Hi Luis,
I've noticed a lot of similar questions from new members.  Questions like
"How do I connect to VTK" or "what libraries are there" seem to pop up
rather frequently.  Nothing wrong with asking, but since they seem to be
shared by many new members, may I suggest Kitware creates a Welcoming
Package and email it to new members upon joining.  The package would include
the top 5 (or 10) newbie questions along with links to the library
resources.  For ITK this would be something like:

1) There are no visualization functionalities in ITK; if you want to see
your data, we suggest using VTK (link to VTK).  To learn how to connect the
two, take a look at (link here).
2) Here is the list of ITK Modules
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/modules.html
3) Chances are your question has been discussed in the past.  You can search
the FAQ (or archives) here
4) More through documentation and courseware can be found here
5) Here are some of the ITK related projects and resources (links)

On a related note, I think if ITK documentation had pages similar to VTK's
"Annotated Class List" and even better, "Class to Examples", it would be of
interest to a lot of people, especially new members.

just a thought,
Arash

PS  We discussed creation of tiling/mosaic framework to be shared with ITK
community.  For now the existing ITK libs answer our needs as we have fair
overlap between the images.  Should this change in the future, we'll take
you up on your offer.