[Insight-users] Windows best practices

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:07:52 -0400

Hi Michael,

1) Use CMake for configuring your project.
    Look at the tutorials for instruction on how
    to create CMakeLists.txt files.

     http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

2) Do not move any of the ITK source files.
    CMake will find where they are, using
    information from the binary directory
    where you built ITK.

3) You can put the files of your project all
    in a single directory, or you can create
    a tree.  Please don't use directories that
    are not part of the same tree.

4) Once you generate a Workspace and .dsp
    project files with CMake,...

             *DO NOT TOUCH THEM*  !!

       *DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING BY HAND* !!

    You will lose any of those changes the next
    time you run CMake, because the .dsw and
    .dsp will be generated again from the
    information available in the CMakeLists.txt
    file.

    If you need to change anything, please do it
    in the CMakeLists.txt file.

Please follow the Tutorials before you start with your
project. Also, take a look at the CVS checkout of
InsightApplications. You will find many illustrations
of how to organize a project that uses ITK. Some of those
examples illustrate how to combine ITK with VTK, FLTK,
QT and MFC.