[Insight-users] bad segmentation result of fastmarching method!why?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:12:40 -0400

Hi Xujf,

It is hard to tell without looking at the images...

but,
it is natural that an image with thinner edges and
discontinuous edges will be more prone to leaking.

You could fine-tune the parameters of your speed image
in order to try to decrease the speed in the places
where you are getting leaks.

If that doesn't work, you could simply move ahead
and use the ShapeDetection level set that takes into
account the Curvature of the surface, or the
GeodesicActive Contour Level set that takes into
account the Cuvature and also uses an Advection term.

These two LevelSet methods are capable of preventing
leaks. You should fine-tune the relative scaling of
the Propagation, Curvature and Advection terms.

Detailed descriptions of these LevelSet methods are
available in the SoftwareGuide.

   http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Section 9.3, pdf-page 363, paper-page 337.

---

You may want to play with the ITK plugins available
in VolView. The free version of VolView can be downloaded
from:

    http://www.kitware.com/products/volview.html

You will find plugins for FastMarching and GeodesicActiveContours
among others.