[Insight-users] PixelContainers, Iterators,

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:53:19 +0100

Thanks Jim, your reply cheers me up greatly.

> We could probably support other pixel containers via inheritance with

But this would necessitate virtual calls. Using a traits type template for
the pixel container would mean that PixelContainer would be directly
accessible from the class, inlined GetPixel and SetPixel would call
PixelContainer[] operator, and the access could be also inlined and
available directly. using a template would mean that the iterator would have
access to the pixelcontainer operator too and one level of abstraction could
be avoided (no virtual calls needed, yes?)

The iterator would instead of calling GetBufferPointer and storing the
TPixel*, just store a reference to the container and use the [] operator. If
the container were the ImageImportContainer as is the case now, then the
iterator would know the type of the container at compile time, the calls
would be inlined and optimized and existing code would be as efficient, but
replacing the pixelcontainer type with a diskswapping one would be simple.
Am I right?

> I had a design which would allow "disk" pixel containers.  It only
required
> a few changes to how people used pixel containers.  The idea was that the

Yes please. This is exacly what I wanted to experiment with. only allow [].
yes yes.

> We would have to rewrite the iterators to not call GetBufferPointer().
This
> wouldn't
> be too hard for ImageRegionIterator since it only modifies an offset as it
> moves.
> ImageRegionWithIndex and NeighborhoodIterator would be harder to work
with.
> I do
> regret writing GetBufferPointer().  By the time I realized it was a
mistake,
> it was being used too much to remove simply.  But at the time, I was more

I see. I'll spend a little time looking at the ImageRegionWithIndex and
NeighborhoodIterator if you'd like

thanks

JB