[Insight-users] outer surface extraction

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Aug 2 23:39:15 EDT 2004

Hi Ruby,

1) ITK doesn't have many filters for generating triangulations.
    You will find easier to perform the segmentation with ITK and
    then convert the resulting binary mask to VTK in order to use
    VTK contour filters for surface extraction.

2) You will find the code examples used for segmenting the
    Visible Woman dataset under

     InsightDocuments/SoftwareGuide/Cover/Source

3) You can also use the ITK plugins in VolView. In particular
    ThresholdLevelSet, and confidence connnected run for
    growing a region on the background of the image instead of
    the tissue.

    You can download the free version of VolView from
    http://www.kitware.com/products/volview.html

    It already has the binary version of the plugins.
    You can download the source code of the plugins from

      InsightApplications/VolviewPlugins

4) You can also try the following segmentation applications
    in InsightApplications:

     - FastMarchingLevelSet
     - ShapeDetectionLevelSet
     - SimpleLevelSetsExample
     - ThresholdSegmentationLevelSet
     - ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetFltkGui

    Remember that for segmenting the skin, the easy way to go
    is to segment the 'complement' of the head. That is, put
    seed points outside the head and grow a region representing
    the background of the head. Once you get this mask, you can
    simply negate it and you will have a segmentation of the
    head/skin.

5) If you data is too noisy you should first experiment with
    denoising filters before applying registration filters.
    Here are some filters that you want to try in your data:

     - MedianImageFilter
     - CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter
     - GradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter
     - CurvatureFlowImageFilter
     - BilateralImageFilter