[Insight-users] Changed behaviour using linux kernel 2.6.7 vs. 2.4.21

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Aug 9 18:47:08 EDT 2004

Hi Robert,

It is very easy to check whether this is an
ITK problem or a Kernel problem, or a compiler problem.

Chances are that this is a mismatch between your new Kernel
and the C++ libraries of your compiler.

Simply compile the following program

     #include <iostream>
     int main(int argc, char *argv[])
     {
      char * mem = new char[ atoi( argv[1] ) ];
      if( mem )
        {
        std::cout << "Don't worry, be happy" << std::endl;
        delete [] mem;
        }
      else
        {
        std::cout << "You are asking too much from life" << std::endl;
        }
      return 0;
     }

run it by passing larger and larger numbers as arguments
until you find the allocation limitation of our new kernel
+ C++ libraries.

It should in fact throw and exception when it is not able
to allocate enough memory, so you probably want to put a
try/catch block around that "new" statement.

Please let us know how far you can get in memory allocation
with this program.

PS:
Murphy's Laws state clearly that you should *never*
update your Linux Kernel unless you really need it.