[Insight-users] Freehand US-US registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Aug 11 18:03:44 EDT 2004

Hi Sam,

Registering Freehand 2D Ultrasound slices that can be taken
in arbitrary positions in 3D space is a very hard problem.

If you still have the option of choosing another project,
jump to it !   :-)

If it is too late for dismissal, here are some options
that you may want to consider.

1) If your data is comming in polar coordinates,
    start by resampling it and generating a classical
    image in a rectilinear grid. For that you can use
    the AzimuthElevationToCartesionTransform
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1AzimuthElevationToCartesianTransform.html

    and the ResampleImageFilter, that you wiil find
    described in detail in the ITK Software Guide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

2) One of the common approaches for this problem is to
    track the Ultraound probe. This tracking has been
    done in three forms

       - Optical tracking
       - Magnetic tracking
       - Mechanical tracking (still freehand)

    in that context at least you get from the tracking
    system the orientation and position of the Ultrasound
    probe.

If this makes you feel better:  The fact that your is a very
hard problem is somehow compensated by the fact that it is an
extremly important one. Empowering Ultrasound exams with the
capability for reconstructing data in 3D will be make possible
to improve diagnosis and treatement. The potential impact of you
application will me much larger that those based on modalities
such as CT and MRI.